Have you ever used Google Docs before?
Nope! It’s the right time to take a plunge and learn about it.
If, Yes! Skip the basic guide and move to the bottom of an article to check Google Docs Shortcuts.
Shortcuts will be a great help and will save a lot of your time if you use google docs regularly.
Google Docs is popularly known as the online office collaboration tool.
Many organizations and working professionals utilize this tool for carrying out their regular tasks efficiently.
What is Google Docs?
Google Docs is a web-based collaboration application, which allows you to create a document on the go similar to Microsoft Word.
Within this app, you can edit, share and collaborate with others in the real time.
Google Docs files are stored online on Cloud in GDrive; you can also sync them with your local system by downloading Google Drive desktop app.
The sync is so happening that you can access your Google docs from any device anytime.
Its collaboration feature allows you to share docs online so that several people may work on a single document simultaneously.
How to create Google Docs?
- To access docs, first, make sure that you have a Google account. If you don’t have one, create an account by simply signing up for Gmail or GSuite account.
- After signing up successfully, you can sign in with your Google Account and access docs either through Google Drive or directly click on docs to get started.
If you have a Gmail account then, you can navigate to Docs by clicking on Google app symbol
You can create new Docs file within Google Drive by clicking on the “new” button.
How to use Google Docs?
1. Create a new document
In drive, click on “New” button, a small notification window will appear from where you can choose Google Docs.
In Docs, click on the blank document to start working on the new file.
2. Rename a document
When you create a new file, by default it will be named “Untitled document.” To rename your file
- Click the name of the file
- Type the desired name
- Hit Enter
Follow this link and start working like a pro!
3. Edit and format a document
There are many ways to edit the document.
- How to Insert image: You can add the image in a document from your computer or the web .
1. Click Insert menu and select image.
2. Choose an image that you want to insert.
- How to remove a picture: Select the picture you want to delete, click right and choose cut.
- How to Insert a Table: You can organize the information in a table.
Steps to insert table: Open the Insert menu and go to the table option, select number or rows and columns you want to add.
- How to add a link: you can also create a link to your document.
Click Insert >link or click the link icon in the toolbar.
- Set margins, page size, orientation and background color:
- To change these options: Click File menu and then choose Page Setup.
4. How to Share File
- Open the file you want to share
- Click Share
- Enter the email address of the person; you would like to share.
- Choose the type of access you want to give people:
- Can edit- Recipients can make any changes in the shared document.
- Can comment- Recipients can add comments, but not edit content.
- Can view- Recipients can only see the file, but not edit or comment.
- After selecting options mentioned above, Click on Done
5. Add a Comment in the file
To communicate with the team about a particular part of a document or you would like to suggest any changes, you can insert a comment in your file.
- Open the document
- Highlight the content you would like to comment
- Add your comment in one of the following ways:
1. Click Add comment icon.
2. Go to Insert and click comment.
- Add your note and click comment.
6. Print and download document in another version
- To print your document, you can do one of the following options:
1. Select File tab from menu and then click print
2. Click on Print Icon in the toolbar
- Download document in other formats: If you want to download your file as another format like .docx, .rtf or as a web. You will need to open the File and choose Download as an option.
|Google Docs Shortcuts|
|Alt+F||To open file menu|
|Alt+E||To open edit menu|
|Alt+V||For view menu|
|Alt+I||To navigate insert menu|
|Alt+T||To open tools menu|
|Alt+N||To open Add-ons menu|
|Ctrl+K||To add a link|
|Ctrl+H||Find and Replace|
|Ctrl+Shift+L||For left align text|
|Ctrl+Shift+R||For right align text|
|Ctrl+Shift+E||For center align text|
|Ctrl+Shift+J||For justify aligning text|
|Ctrl+Alt+M||For Add comment|
If you are using google docs with @gmail id and want to have your email on your business domain name, you can check Gsuite Free Trial for 15 Days and later get 20% Discount.
It offers an extensive list of features that help you to work seamlessly within teams. It’s free to use, and there are no more backup issues as it automatically saves your documents.
So, learn new ways to create Google Docs and work efficiently without any hiccups.
If you have any question related to Google Docs, you can ask me in the comment section. I will be happy to answer them all for you!