This is a basic guide on how to access cPanel/WHM Control Panel before taking you to how to login steps let me brief you about cPanel & WHM.
What is cPanel & WHM
cPanel is a Linux based web hosting control panel. cPanel is one of the most popular web hosting control panels in the market. cPanel is a very robust software. It is the end user’s control panel. cPanel is an interface which allows you to manage various services under your account such as email accounts, MySQL databases, FTP accounts, etc.
whm is a Linux based powerful program that allows administrative access to the back end of cPanel. As well as being accessible by the root administrator, WHM is also accessible to users with reseller privileges. Reseller users of cPanel have a smaller set of features than the root user, generally limited by the server administrator.
The main difference is WHM is the complement to cPanel. WHM (Web Host Manager) where you can create accounts, do all the admin things and cPanel control panel is more the end user interface. Within WHM you can see all of the cPanel accounts.
How to access cPanel
Tip: If your domain name is pointing to the server then you can use a domain name in place of your server hostname or IP address. If it’s not so then you can get the Hostname and Server IP Address in the welcome email sent by your hosting provider.
httpover an encrypted connection. I recommend you to use https.
https, the port number is implied. To specify a port number, enter a colon (:) followed by a number.
How to access WHM
Note: You can also access the WHM over an unencrypted connection. In this case you have to change your port number to 2086 and protocol to http.
How to Login to cPanel and WHM Using Command Line
The SSH (secure shell) and Telnet network protocols allow you to connect to another web server over the Internet via a command line interface (CLI).
To use PuTTY to connect to your server via SSH, perform the following steps:
- Download and install the PuTTY client.
- In the Session interface, enter the hostname or IP address of the server.
- Enter the Port number. It should be 22 by default. (Note: Be sure that you select the SSH protocol button.)
- Click Open.
- Enter root as the login name.
- Enter the root password.
You can download the putty here.
How to change cPanel/WHM Password
Perform the following steps to change the cPanel Password:
- Login to cPanel.
- Click on the “Change password” icon under the Preferences Section.
- In the box to the right of Old Password, enter your old password.
- In the box to right of New Password, enter the new password.
- Click Change Password. That’s it your password has been changed.
Tip: I recommend you to generate the password from password generator. It is the most secure option to generate the password. This is the random password like do7QSfvc2X3p4 which no one can guess easily.
Perform the following steps to change the WHM Password:
- Log into WHM.
- Click the Server Configuration icon on the home screen.
- From the Server Configuration menu, click Change Root Password.
- In the New Password field, enter the desired new password.
- In the Confirm New Password field, retype the new password.
- Click Change Password to confirm your changes.
Also, Check out: